Friday, September 18, 2009

Being grateful for my baggage



Our home has a lot of baggage.  Not the physical kind.  The mental kind.  And, really, we probably don't have any more than anyone else, but I just got to thinking about it today.

My father's cousin is visiting and she is really into geneology.  I scanned a bunch of pictures for her and while I was doing that we talked about our family.  My brother-in-law recently gave us a print out of my husband's family so we could look at it on both sides.  When you go back just a few generations you find husbands that died months after marriage, wives that died leaving husbands with tiny babies and more to deal with. Men and women turned around after these incidents and remarried quickly.  My cousin was noting it probably was out of necessity.  What was that man going to do with a 4 month old baby?  He had to be out in the field all day.  He needed someone to take care of things. 

We are so pampered today.  I don't think most of the population would survive if all of the televisions self destructed (although we would be better off without the things, in my opinion.)  All the little things that seem to make my life hard, especially the emotional baggage that comes into play in relationships, is all so trivial compared to what our ancestors had to deal with.  It has made me more grateful for what I have.

And being grateful is always a good thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment